Painted in 1929 by Emily Carr, The Indian Church was called Carr's finest work by Group of Seven artist Lawren Harris. Harris was instrumental in encouraging Emily Carr to begin painting again after she had all but given up. He bought The Indian Church and hung it in his own home in 1930, and it was also part of a Canadian Art Exhibition at the National Gallery in 1930. It is now in the collection of the Art Gallery of Ontario.
Image size: 6 1/4" x 10 3/4", framed to 11" x 15 3/4"
Emily Carr (1871–1945) was a Canadian artist and writer, significantly inspired by the indigenous people with whom she visited frequently on Canada's northwest coast. She studied art at the San Francisco Art Institute, the Westminster School of Art in London, England, and at the Academie Colarossi in Paris, France. When she first began painting with a new modern style of bold colours, and the indigenous life as her subject, her work did not gain enough recognition to support her. After a failed art gallery venture and discouraging reviews she left painting for 15 years. In 1927 interest from the National Gallery and Group of Seven founder Lawren Harris, Carr, at 57 years old, began her most prolific painting period, mostly focused on landscapes and particularly forest scenes. Carr was also one of the first non-indigenous chroniclers of First Nation's people lives in British Columbia. She wrote numerous books and her work is in all major Canadian art galleries and is collected around the world.